Thursday 2 January 2014

Shop of the Week no. 12 TheAstralCharm

First of all I’d like to wish everyone a very happy and prosperous new year!


Here is my first shop of the week post of 2014, although this is actually the last Shop of the Week of 2013, but because of the Christmas season, it has been carried over for one extra week.
So this week’s shop of the week was chosen by Nadia, from Nadia’sKnits. This is the winning treasury.



How does a person make strong, bold colours appear soft and feminine? This is what Stephanie has achieved with her jewellery in her shop, TheAstralCharm. And charming it is, beautiful clean lines stunning colour combinations, and lots of ‘must have’ pieces. So let’s find out a little more about the maker, Stephanie.





Tell us a little about yourself and your work
I am 23 years old, a mother of two, a four year old and a 1 year old, (they’re almost 5 and 1 respectively in a month!) I recently graduated with my Associates and am trying to figure out what I really want to go into for my Bachelors and Masters.
My mother and I are creative beings. When I was 10 my mother was a passenger in a car accident that left her permanently disabled and the young man in the other car didn’t make it. While she was recovering from surgeries, she and I would sit and make jewellery in her room, on her bed.
My entire life, she has supported me in all of my endeavours, and bought me my first sewing machine when I was 13, because I loved making quilts!
Eventually she did become well enough to finish her Masters, and work again, which makes her my role model. She helps me believe that anything is possible.




What inspires your work?
My mother, my children and my dog Zhen Li inspire me every day.



What are your favourite colours?
My favourite colour is purple and my second favourite is red.





What is your favourite medium/material?
I love stones, crystals, glass, polymer clay and silver. I have never been a fan of gold, and it’s probably because gold doesn’t look good on me.





What is your favourite holiday destination?
I absolutely love Seattle, Washington. It’s rainy which is very different from Arizona’s scorching dry heat. I love the sea and sea life and will forever remember my trip there. My bucket list is full of destinations I would love to visit such as Rome, the Palace at Versailles, as well as Scotland and Spain to kind of connect with my roots culturally.





What other artists work to you admire and aspire to?
I absolutely love designer Betsy Johnson. Her designs are fun and wild. My life is a little wild, so why shouldn’t my wardrobe and accessories be? I have always been a fan of Leonardo Da Vinci, as his work is mesmerising. He has inspired ‘awe’ in many and I could only wish to inspire people as he has.





What are you most proud of?
It may sound strange, but I am proud of being a young mother. I have the greatest children, and I have accomplished so much even though I had my first child at 18. I had my second during my Associates Degree coursework, and still graduated with Honours.









                           

Thank you Stephanie for taking part. If you want to visit TheAstralCharm, just click here to see more beautiful pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I love Stephanie's shop! I have a paid of earrings to give to my sister-in-law still under the tree from the Astral Charm... and I kind of (really!!!!) want to keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is a very lovely shop isn't it?

    ReplyDelete